Last Updated: February 22, 2010
Word of Mouth, Inc. ("Word of Mouth") owns and runs various websites, including but not limited to realwordofmouth.com (the "Websites"), through which it offers various services and software (the Websites, services and software are referred to as the "Services"). Word of Mouth may offer Services through partner websites and through websites that have embedded our Services.
1. Information Collected. You are not required to provide personally identifiable information to visit the Websites. However, in order to take advantage of certain features you may need to provide some personally identifiable information.
2. Storage, Disclosure and Use of Your Communications. You can use Word of Mouth to post reviews on the Word of Mouth Services. Never disclose personal information about yourself in a public review. Don't share personal information unless it's with someone you know well in the real world.
Your posting to Word of Mouth using the "public" privacy setting are public and appear in search results and are saved on our servers as message histories, which are also accessible to the public, who may include law officers and other authorities. Do not disclose personally identifiable information in a public review, as those postings are available to the public and may be saved on our server(s) as publicly available information.
Word of Mouth may customize the advertising shown to users based on software analysis of Word of Mouth reviews and message histories.
We and our advertisers may use third-party companies to serve ads when you use the Services. These third-party ad-serving companies may also place cookies on your computer. Sometimes these cookies may be used to provide customized advertising to you on the Websites or on other sites. These advertising companies may also use Web beacons to help manage and optimize our online advertising.
Some third-party ad serving companies have agreed to allow users to opt-out of receiving customized advertising. To opt-out of receiving customized advertising from ad networks who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, please visit its website.
Word of Mouth may share data about aggregate IP addresses, but such data does not include personally identifiable information.
5. Usage and Sharing of Information.
Usage of Information. Word of Mouth may use the information it collects, including your personal information, aggregated data, and Anonymized Data, for the following purposes:
- Account Information. To create an account on Word of Mouth, we require you to provide your name and email address to create a user name and to provide a password.
- Aggregate Usage Data and Anonymized Data. Word of Mouth may collect usage data based on users, usage of the site and its various features, but it is not personally identifiable except as described below under the IP Addresses section ("Aggregate Data"). In addition, Word of Mouth may take your personal information and create anonymized information by excluding information (such as your user name) that makes it personally identifiable to you ("Anonymized Data").
- Personal Information for Social Features. From time to time, Word of Mouth introduces features that allow friends to share more information about themselves with other friends, including information about what they are doing on Word of Mouth. Word of Mouth may store the personally identifiable information that you provide us in order to provide these services, including your friends list. Whenever a social feature involves the disclosure of personally identifiable information about you to other people, Word of Mouth will either provide you with an opportunity to opt out of the disclosure or will seek your consent prior to making the disclosure.
- Demographic and Geographic Data. Word of Mouth may ask people to voluntarily provide additional demographic information such as age, gender, location, services and interests, or we may require it for you to use certain features. We use demographic information to improve our services and to provide you with features like customized advertising. In addition, Word of Mouth may receive geographic or demographic information from outside sources. These sources may include companies whom we have engaged in accordance with Section 5 to provide that information based on information that you have provided to us, from the third-party messenger services that you access through Word of Mouth, or from other partners such as in connection with a co-branded website or a promotion. Word of Mouth may combine the information we receive from those other sources with information we collect through the Websites.
- To provide you with access to your account;
- To provide you with the Services;
- To enhance and improve our Services;
- To provide customized advertising to you;
- To conduct research;
- To determine your geographic location or other demographic information about you;
- To create reports and to analyze usage patterns.
Sharing of Information. Word of Mouth may share personally identifiable information with third parties in the following cases:
a. To enable the normal course of functionality of the Services (for example, your user name(s) and password(s) and IP address will be shared with the Third Party IM Services where you have an account in order to permit you to log onto and utilize that service through Word of Mouth);
b. With partner websites who offer Word of Mouth Services, such as sharing of ratings and reviews, when you use those Services on our partner websites;
c. With trusted third party service providers who help us in the operation of the Word of Mouth service and who have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of the data;
d. As part of Word of Mouth's social features, as described above;
f. Where we have a good faith belief that it is required in order to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, to prevent fraud or imminent harm, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
In the event that Word of Mouth is acquired by or merged with another company or transfers substantially all of its assets to another company, Word of Mouth will transfer all of its user information and data, including information about you, to that other company.
6. Notification of Changes and Other Events. Any changes to this policy will be posted on the Websites in this location.
Word of Mouth reserves the right to send you communications relating to your account, the Services, and the Terms and Conditions.
You consent to receiving all notifications from Word of Mouth through display on the Websites or through email, including any notifications that Word of Mouth is required by law to send to you.
8. Non-U.S. Users. Word of Mouth is hosted and operated entirely in the United States and is subject to United States law. Any personal information that you provide to Word of Mouth is being provided to Word of Mouth solely in the United States and will be hosted on United States servers. You consent to the transfer of your personal information to the United States. If you are accessing Word of Mouth from outside the United States, please be advised that United States law may not offer the same privacy protections as the law of your jurisdiction.
10. Editing and Deleting Your Account Information and Preferences. You can edit certain personal information that you have provided or request that your account be deleted by logging into your Word of Mouth account. Deleting your Word of Mouth account does not currently remove your personal information from the Word of Mouth servers. However, if you delete your account, we will use your personal information only as described in Sections 5(f) and (g).
11. Children. Word of Mouth does not knowingly permit children under 13 to create a Word of Mouth account. In addition, Word of Mouth does not store any personal information of users who access their Third Party IM Service accounts and indicate to us that they are under 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information. If you are a parent of a child under 13 and you believe that your child has created a Word of Mouth account in violation of our policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Comments and Questions. If you have any comments or questions you may address them to our customer service department at email@example.com, via mail addressed to Customer Service, Word of Mouth, Inc., at 1325 Howard Avenue #906, Burlingame, CA 94010.